Author Topic: New Glastron owners to honor warranty.  (Read 6948 times)

MX175

• View Profile
    • Email
New Glastron owners to honor warranty.
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
Here is an interesting read notice that part about not using the VEC in future Glastrons.
http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=4019

I edited to make the link clickable... Tim
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:15:50 PM by jt185 »
2008 MX175 2010 F150 4.6L

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
Too bad they are going to drop the VEC hull when they are done in Little Falls. I wonder why? Too expensive of a process? Do they they have something better in mind?  One of the selling points of Glastron I think. Maybe they'll come up with something better, or maybe they want to cut manufacturing costs. Most likely the latter. Thanks for posting MX.
JT

2010 GT185XL Black w/4.3 Merc

rw99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Mine is (reportedly) at the plant right now, waiting on a 4.3 FI Volvo.  Glad I'll have a VEC hull:  it was one of the factors that led me to choose a Glastron.  I'd say it's a mistake for the brand to be moved from Little Falls.

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »
Quote from: rw99

Mine is (reportedly) at the plant right now, waiting on a 4.3 FI Volvo.  Glad I'll have a VEC hull:  it was one of the factors that led me to choose a Glastron.  I'd say it's a mistake for the brand to be moved from Little Falls.

Hey rw,
That was a big part of my decision too. What model did you buy? I'm also curious of the power comparison between the carb. and FI 4.3. I was not aware FI was an option when I ordered last fall. I bet there are a lot of people in Little Falls losing jobs. Maybe they'll be offered an option to stay on with the new company if they're willing to live in Michigan. That'd be a tough choice for a number of reasons. Jobs in Michigan on the other hand are scarce from what I've read. Maybe they'll get a little boost from a new operation starting. By the way congratulations on your new boat. Personally, I can't wait for this winter to end. We are currently, once again, on a winter storm warning for tonight and tomorrow. Supposed to get 6-9 or more inches of snow. Enough! Good luck and keep us posted on your boat.
JT

MX175

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
Yes the Vec was one of the main reasons I went with a Glastron. My guess is that the plant they are moving to is not set up to produce the Vec technology and the cost to retool to expensive. It will be interesting to see the next generation of Glastrons to come along.

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »
I posed this question/issue on another forum. I got a reply from someone who seemed to have a lot of info on Glastron VEC discontinuation. Supposedly the man (Jacobs?) who developed the VEC technology is with Larson boats. Larson boats was a sister company to Glastron before the Platinum Equity buy out. Larson boats was not bought by PE therefore the VEC tech will stay with Larson. The 2011 Glastron boats will be built on a Four Winns platform in Michigan. Four Winns have great boats, so it ought to be a good design. Just not VEC. This was the explanation I got. It sounds plausible, but it is hearsay.
JT

MX175

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
I believe you are 100% right jt185 I saw a story today that Jacobs has a new line of fishing boats developed that is using the VEC technology. So he must have retained the rights to the technology.

aevans17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »
That is correct. Jacobson declared bankruptcy for genmar, then bought back parts of the old company for pennies on the dollar. I dont' remember exactly what he bought back but VEC was one of the things he bought so now Glastrons can't be made with VEC.
Such is life!
2006 GS 259, 320 HP Volvo OSXI

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
Kind of strange that a company can declare bankruptcy and then essentially buy the company back for a fraction of the price. Sounds like a great way to shed debt.  
JT