Author Topic: gelcoat blisters  (Read 7444 times)

scampbell

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
New to the forum.  Anyone had any dealings with gelcoat blisters.  I had her in a wet slip last summer and pulled her out to winterize and when I celaned off all the algae I noticed several blisters. I have read in several places to see if they get worse this season and if so, take it in.  Scared I may have a big expense coming my way!  

2006 SX 175
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 3MileBayWaker »
ScottC
2006 SX 175 3.0 volvo penta

rau_d1

• Just add H2O
    • View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
Sorry and scared to read your post, because I also have my boat at a slip during the summer, but I have not had this problem. I have seen a 97 glastron at the same marina in which  the gel coat has chipped in many spots and also come off. Maybe the chemical used to remove the algae caused it? Keep posting any results.
rau_d1
2008 GT 185 4.3 Merc. Hiya Bayaya

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »
First of all, welcome to the forum!! I have had my fiberglass boat for a short time. Most of my experience is with aluminum hulls. Are the blisters from incorrectly applied gelcoat? Perhaps this is a warranty issue. Is that a VEC hull? I would be talking to Glastron even if it's not covered.  
JT

2010 GT185XL Black w/4.3 Merc

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I read a post on epinions that VEC hulled boats are not intended to be stored in the water for longer than 2 weeks without sealing the bottom. Sounds kind of like crazy talk for a boat though. The guy said it's in the manual for the 2004 GX205. I can not verify that so maybe someone with their manual handy can see what it says. I'm only sharing a couple things I just read. However, I will be checking my manual as soon as it stops pouring rain. It's in the boat under the cover.  

I found this article:

Osmotic Blistering

Osmotic Blistering is a condition found in most fiberglass boats. Blistering occurs when water penetrates through the gel coat and mixes with water soluble materials found in the fiberglass layers beneath it. The seawater then becomes a solution that will try to equalize with the seawater outside the boat. As the solution has now grown molecularly, it cannot back out of the passage it entered, it builds up pressure as it tries to escape and then it explodes, resulting in blister domes which appear on the outside of the hull.

The repair procedure is as follows, first a technician removes all of the anti-fouling paint, gel coat and any damaged fiberglass by peeling or grinding the underwater body. The underwater body is then scrubbed with a solution of TSP and water to remove any stray contaminates. Next, the boat is tented off tight around the bottom and a dehumidifier is run in the tent to keep the air as dry as possible. Once the hull bottom has dried to an acceptable level, an epoxy barrier coating system may be applied. The drying process may take from 2 weeks to 12 months.

Epoxy barrier coatings have proven to be very effective in repair and prevention of blistering. Epoxy is very dense and tight making it non-conductive to water penetration. In cases of severe blistering, an additional layer of fiberglass cloth may be applied with the epoxy coatings to replace any fiberglass removed during peeling and grinding and to add strength to the total system.

Osmotic blistering usually starts as a nuisance/cosmetic problem. However, blistering left untreated can cause a very serious condition resulting in de-lamination of the fiberglass hull bottom, very extensive as well as expensive repairs or in extreme cases, total loss of the affected boat.

JT

scampbell

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:10:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I found several sites with similar explanations.  Was wondering if anyone ever had to have them repaired and what it cost.  I do have the VEC hull and glastron has indicated it might not be covered if I kept it in the water.  I'll definitely press the issue to see.  Glad none of you have had to deal with it! Glad I found the forum.   When I find out about coverage and cost, I'll let you guys know.
ScottC

scampbell

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
jt, you were right on.  It is in the manual.  Says if your gonna keep in water for more than 2 WEEEKS you need to put a barrier coating on hull, or blisters may form, WHICH ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY!  Moral of the story, read your manual cover to cover before putting in.   I'll monitor it this summer.
ScottC

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:00:14 PM »
Quote from: scampbell

jt, you were right on.  It is in the manual.  Says if your gonna keep in water for more than 2 WEEEKS you need to put a barrier coating on hull, or blisters may form, WHICH ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY!  Moral of the story, read your manual cover to cover before putting in.   I'll monitor it this summer.
I would never have guessed that a hull needs to be sealed to leave a boat in the water until I read your post and started digging around for information. Thanks for posting. I've learned a lot from forums. I guess I better read my manual before I make any big mistakes.
JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
gelcoat blisters
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
I read that in my manual as well, but mine will never have to be stored in the water as I have a place for storage and eventually will be on a hoist at camp when I get another $3k to squander.
2010 Glastron GT 205 XL (Crimson Red)
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Low profile Black windshield
Custom Black Canvas