Author Topic: Cracks forming on Hull  (Read 6486 times)

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:13:53 PM »
I was out yesterday on the water. Had a great day. There is a lot of algae growing in our lake as the water temps have risen. I was cleaning the pond scum off the hull this morning and noticed several cracks have formed on the strakes on my hull. I'm just sick about it. I contacted the dealership and they are going to take a look at it on Monday when I bring it in for the 20 hour service. I guess I thought I'd get a little more than 20 hours on the hull before having problems. I been very gentle with the boat. I'm one of the few people who slow down when crossing wakes and rough water. I can't believe this. Of course the dealership said it's under warranty and Glastron is very good about honoring warranty. I just hope this isn't going to be a nightmare of ongoing problems. I'll let you know what they say on Monday.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by tjmgt185 »
JT

2010 GT185XL Black w/4.3 Merc

nedrger

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:41 AM »
Yikes!!! Did the dealer indicate this is a common problem? I take delivery in two weeks, hope this isn't a common thing. Hope everything turns out OK
Randy
2011 GS289 8.1GiC DP Volvo Penta, 400HP
Hav'in fun roll'in on the river

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »
He didn't say if it was common. He did say he had a Glastron that had problems inside the cockpit area which Glastron took care of by replacing the entire inside shell. I hope it turns out too.
JT

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
Here are a few pics.

JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:46:12 AM »
Oh wow.... I took my boat out onto the actual lake ontario yesterday into some decent swells and it was quite rough. I am going to give my boat a good once over to see if anything has developed. They should warranty that.
2010 Glastron GT 205 XL (Crimson Red)
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Low profile Black windshield
Custom Black Canvas

nedrger

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »
I don't know if you saw this over on I-Boat but apparently the Lemon law applies to boats. Under your post on that site, there are a list of related threads. Check it out, there is some interesting information.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act  is federal, not state law and does apply to boats as well as cars. Do a little research on it and you just might see a light at the end of the tunnel.

There are a lot of details and fine print, but the biggies are:

...must give at the consumers request either a NEW replacement or complete refund AFTER allowing the manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the product. Multiple issues muddies the water a little bit, but three attempts to repair a single issue qualifies.
Randy

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »
I just got back from talking to the dealer. He said it wasn't anything I did wrong and he will call Glastron tomorrow first thing. His idea is they will have to give me a new hull. He also said the cracks (which are even more numerous than in the above pictures) should not prevent me from using the boat. He figured I should finish the season with this hull and give it back to Glastron so I don't miss any time on the water this summer. We'll see what they say tomorrow. It's all up to Glastron now. I'll keep you posted.
JT

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
Quote from: nedrger

I don't know if you saw this over on I-Boat but apparently the Lemon law applies to boats. Under your post on that site, there are a list of related threads. Check it out, there is some interesting information.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act  is federal, not state law and does apply to boats as well as cars. Do a little research on it and you just might see a light at the end of the tunnel.

There are a lot of details and fine print, but the biggies are:

...must give at the consumers request either a NEW replacement or complete refund AFTER allowing the manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the product. Multiple issues muddies the water a little bit, but three attempts to repair a single issue qualifies.
Yeah, I posted over there too. I believe in sharing information good and bad. So far it looks like I will be taken care of. I appreciate the heads up and I'll search the threads you mentioned.
JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
Sigh....

Your apparently not the only one.... I have a nice one forming just on the bow V, and then in the veins towards the rear of the boat I am getting these other ones, and even an blemish is forming. My boat has 8.1hrs on it, never sitting in the water longer than 3hours,  and I haven't hit the hull on anything. But my prop did find a rock at the boat launch this weekend giving her a little knick. I don't think these are similar to the ones you have...

I tried calling my dealer this afternoon, but they are closed. I do have the owners cell phone number, but these really aren't too bad so I may just be doing the same as you but I'll have to see what my dealer informs me to do when I get a hold of them tomorrow.  They may only be cosmetic in the gel coat, who knows. I have a boat fiberglass repair shop local to me, so I might be bringing it to them instead of my dealer cause they handle major manufacturers warranty work for local dealers. My dealer is an hour away, while this place is 15mins. Guess i'll keep everyone informed as well.
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Custom Black Canvas

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »
It's hard to tell in the pictures, but those don't look like the cracks I have. Those look like minor flaws in the gelcoat, which to me would be acceptable, especially on the bottom of a boat.
JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
I think you are right about cosmetic, but I do still want to have them get checked out. I'd rather be safe than sorry with not voiding my hulls warranty due to neglect.

Still have issues with my speedo leaking, fuel tank gauge works, Guess I just haven't gone far enough with her to get it to move.

What size chop does your lake normally get? Largest waves I've been through are about 2.5' swells.
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Custom Black Canvas

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
The biggest waves on our lake are wakes from boat traffic. Nothing to speak of really. I'm pretty relieved by the response from owner of the dealership today. He gave me the stand-up response i was hoping for. I expect the same from HQ at Glastron. Your speedometer can be easily fixed by your dealer. I know how you feel driving a distance to get service. I have to do that with my motorcycle, 160 miles round trip.
JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 05:38:51 AM »
I'm glad your dealership is on your side, even though this is a total bummer and PITA, at least we have this good lifetime VEC warranty's. Besides this, have any other problems aroused?

I don't want to take your thread off topic, but the speedo gauge is an easy fix. It is one of two things causing it, I eliminated the easiest one first, but its the latter of the two. The one hose coming off the rear of the speedo, is roughly 5" of black hose. Both ends have silver clamps on them, not sure what the one going into the speedo has clamped down, but the end where it buts up to the pitot hose running from the transom is clamping down on a barbed vacuum line fitting. I believe this was over crimped, because its caused the tube that its crimped on to become non-circular in shape with even pressure around the barbed fitting.

I am just going to cut the hose crimp off, and buy a new barbed fitting that is not deformed, and put it back together.

Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Custom Black Canvas

nedrger

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 07:32:22 AM »
JT, what has happened to your cracks? Any futher developments??
Randy

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Cracks forming on Hull
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »
Quote from: nedrger

JT, what has happened to your cracks? Any futher developments??

The crazing has spread a very small bit, but Glastron will be taking the boat back this fall to repair or replace the hull. The dealership suggested that we wait until fall to send it back as to not miss the summer boating season, especially considering that Glastron is moving in to Cadillac Michigan setting up their new manufacturing with the Four Winns facility. I hope nothing further develops with the boat.
JT