Author Topic: Dual battery  (Read 8949 times)

rau_d1

• Just add H2O
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
Hey everyone, does anyone have dual batteries on their boat? I would like to install an amp. to the existing factory stereo 40 watts x 2 speakers.
I'd like to add more noise on the lake, but I don't want to be left stranded as a form of punishment.
I'd like to read suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks

Hiya Bayaya
GT 185 4.3L XL
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jetsetjoe »
rau_d1
2008 GT 185 4.3 Merc. Hiya Bayaya

Buuts

• MSN Messenger - buuts@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:02:42 AM »
I guess its no problem to mount a second battery for accessery, only you have to secure the system with a charge divider block ( I don't know the exact name in Enlisch). when charging it gives priority to the first system battery and it prevents draining the system battery to the accessory battery. So you can use your stereo system whitout using the battery for starting up again!!! Sucses.
Bert and Henriëtte, the Netherlands. Glastron SSV-177, build in 1977, Volvo Penta AQ-130 with 280 sterndrive

rau_d1

• Just add H2O
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks, I have looked into what I would need,have you installed one yourself, if so, is it a complicated task?
rau_d1

Buuts

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:17:14 AM »
I Build it in to my motorhome, not in my boat but its the same. the firts battery is only for, lets say, the car en the second battery is only for all the extra's on board. take a look at http://www.victronenergy.com/ her's all the info you need!!! Greetings from Holland
Bert and Henriëtte, the Netherlands. Glastron SSV-177, build in 1977, Volvo Penta AQ-130 with 280 sterndrive

Buuts

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:25:49 AM »
Perhaps this is a beter link. http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-isolators-and-combiners/   . Greetings

Buuts

• View Profile
    • Email

jetsetjoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
On my 2008 GT225, I decided the other day to go dual battery, after self-installing new Alpine CDA-118M stereo and Sirius Stratus 6 w/ docking station (in the glovebox), Alpine MC-10 Wireless Remote Commander (on the dash), and two 12V receptacles for phones (one on dash; one in glovebox).  
So I figured it is time to upgrade the battery system.
So I am purchasing the following to install next:
1. The Blue Seas System "Add-A-Battery" Automatic Charging Relay http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329 ($130 all over eBay)
2. Two Optima Bluetop D27M Marine Deep-Cycle Batteries (about $225 each)
3. One "Dual Battery Holder for 27 Series Batteries" http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=DX11SW0UTXV5LLAQBBKSCOVMCAEFAIWE?id=0000971011795a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=2060351&cm_ite=0000971011795a&_requestid=140076
Do your homework.  The Add-A-Battery system is far different (better) than a battery isolator.  And most importantly, it includes a "Start Isolator" to isolate your house load/stereo system during engine cranking.
Will post when I am done.
Jetsetjoe
Ann Arbor, MI
2008 Glastron GT225
5.0 GXi

rau_d1

• Just add H2O
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:53:58 PM »
Thanks  for the replies. I am not sure what to do yet, previously I thought of the switch, but I did not like the idea of switching between batteries.  Jetset, is this  "Add a Battery" the same thing, because the switch looks similar except the relay which I had not heard of before.
Let me know how it works out.
Thanks.
rau_d1

jetsetjoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:36:23 AM »
I just finished the installing the Blue Seas "Add-A-Battery" system today.  There is quite a bit of advanced planning involved including cable routing/lengths, fusing, mounting locations for the relay box and the switch, etc.  Not to mention the physical endurance during installation.  I took the boat out today for about 1 minute then it started raining.  The system clearly works but didn't get to check out the starter isolator (prevents radio and electronics from cutting out during cranking).  BTW, there is a video on the West Marine website about the Add-A-Battery system.  I can provide a DETAILED recipe for how to do this project if you really want me to.  But I firmly believe I have installed a high quality dual battery charging system.
Jetsetjoe
Ann Arbor, MI
2008 Glastron GT225
5.0 GXi

jetsetjoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »
Oh I forgot to answer your switch question.  With the "Dual Circuit plus" switch included in the Add-A-Battery system, you are NOT switching between batteries!  When in the "On" position, your house and engine batteries are both operating independently AND simultaneously through the 4-post switch, and one or both batteries are charging via the logic in the Relay box.
Jetsetjoe
Ann Arbor, MI
2008 Glastron GT225
5.0 GXi

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:13:24 AM »
Pictures? I've been thinking about two batteries for when I install a better audio system. I've already killed one factory Chinese speaker... lol
2010 Glastron GT 205 XL (Crimson Red)
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Low profile Black windshield
Custom Black Canvas

BenW

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
I would like to see pictures also,  I ordered the BlueSea dual battery switch and relay, hopefully it will be in early next week.  I hate the ignition cut-out while I'm listening to tunes...and my amps power-off when battery is below a certain level.  Two batteries is a must!!
1997 GS 205
Littlefield, TX
BenW

jetsetjoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
There may be a big hiccup here.  The batteries only "combine" when 13.0 V is reached for 2 minutes or more, but I am never reaching 13.0 V.  The stock alternator/regulator in my 2008 Volvo Penta does not seem "happy" to be hooked up to the Optima AGM battery.  So my batteries are not combining.  So either I replace the Starter battery that the alternator is hooked up to with a non-deep cycle battery, or replace the alternator/regulator with the expensive type designed for use with AGM-type batteries (such as from Balmar).  I am bummed beyond belief as this project gets complicated and expensive.
Jetsetjoe
Ann Arbor, MI
2008 Glastron GT225
5.0 GXi

BenW

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
I don't see where the problem is.  You really don't want your batteries "combined" unless one is failing and you need that extra juice to crank the engine, right?  

Looks like I won't be getting my switch from UPS til Friday...the day we're leaving for a 3 day lake EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!....I may track down the UPS man, get the extra battery, fuses, wires, etc....and have my lake buddies put it in for me.  Lucky for me, they're all electricians!!!
1997 GS 205
Littlefield, TX
BenW

jetsetjoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual battery
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 08:12:44 AM »
Wrong.  The B;ue Sea Add-A-Battery System is a "Battery Combiner" rather than a "Battery Isolator".  In a battery combiner, the alternator charges Battery 1 only, to which all your engine, blower, fuel pump are hooked up.  Battery 2 has stereo and accessories only.  Battery 2 only gets charged when Battery 1 sees a charge voltage of 13.0 V for 2 minutes or more, which NEVER occurs with the Volvo Penta alternator/voltage regulator that I have (it shifts between 12.5V-13.5V).  So if you run your stereo for a long time, Battery 2 eventually dies.  To make matters worse, if you leave your blower on, Battery 1 would die too, and combining batteries to start the engine would be fruitless.  In a "Battery isolator", the alternator runs to a box that splits the charge between 2 batteries all the time.  The battery combiner comes with a different type of switch than an isolator.  With the combiner type I have bought (considered "better"), I now have to change to an alternator with an external voltage regulator (such as a Balmar) where I can select my battery type (Gel, AGM, Flooded, etc) and I should get the necessary charge voltage at Battery 1 to allow Battery 2 to get charged also. If your stock alternator/regulator on your boat puts out over 13.0V for 2 minutes, and does not go below 12.75V, then the Add-A-Battery combiner system will work fine.  Otherwise, go with an isolator system to spare yourself the cost of a new alternator/regulator.
Jetsetjoe
Ann Arbor, MI
2008 Glastron GT225
5.0 GXi