Author Topic: Offroading/Overlanding  (Read 1351 times)

codertimt

• Administrator
    • codertimt
    • View Profile
    • Email
Offroading/Overlanding
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:37:01 PM »
Well, last year was not a good boating year for me, but I did discover a new pastime with what I guess you would consider a subbranch of offroading referred to as overlanding.

First let me back up a bit.  I purchased my first four wheel drive vehicle last spring, a 1996 Jeep Cherokee.  I lifted it a bit and put some semi-aggressive tires on with no clear idea of how I was really going to make use of it.  There are rock crawling ORV parks and there are place with mud pits, but neither of those really interested me.  I found what I really enjoyed doing was just driving around exploring back roads and many miles of roads and trails in the Ozark National Forest which is quite close to me.  Take that exploration spirit, throw in a little backcountry camping, and mix in a dash of land conservation/offroading responsibility and you end up with this overlanding subculture. 

So I thought I'd make this post to possible introduce others to what is a cool outdoor activity when off the water.  For more information check out the following..

http://www.expeditionportal.com/ - For a truly global overview both in scope and geography.

http://www.centraloverland.com/ - If you are anywhere north to south in the U.S. between the Smoky Mtns. and the Rocky Mtns. this is a great local resource.

ColinGS249

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Offroading/Overlanding
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:47 AM »
Looks good fun and a good way of seeing the country side you would not normally see. Wish we had places like that to ho here in northern Ireland
ColinGS249
Northern Ireland

nickkhun23

• View Profile
Re: Offroading/Overlanding
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
Im new in here, Hope to enjoy this forum