Author Topic: Fun boat names?  (Read 8525 times)

weidokal1

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
We'll be picking up our new GLS 215 in a few weeks and have been debating fun boat names.  Any thoughts/ideas?  Also, I'm unsure where we'll be able to put the name on the boat as the back has the built-in swim platform.  Where do other Glastron owners place their boat names?  Just a lighthearted question for a Sunday afternoon!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TCfromEC »
Nicole
NE Ohio
2009 GLS 215/5.0L Penta
Love Like Crazy

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
Seems like all the good names are taken. You know, SS Minnow, Titanic, Edmund Fitzgerald, etc...:)
JT

2010 GT185XL Black w/4.3 Merc

weidokal1

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
Ha!  So true, John.  So true.  
Nicole
NE Ohio
2009 GLS 215/5.0L Penta
Love Like Crazy

rau_d1

• Just add H2O
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Picking a name is fun, I really rattled my brain coming up with one.  I picked my boat name from some of the first words my daughter learned to speak, Hiya ( for hello ) and Bayaya ( for banana ), so I went with Hiya Bayaya, people see the name and get a chuckle out of it cause they try to figure out its meaning, they're stumped until I tell them, and their respond is "oh how cute", then I think I should have gone with something much stronger than cute, but my daugther loves it, she now says Hiya Bayaya to me  when she greets me.
Have fun picking a name !
rau_d1
2008 GT 185 4.3 Merc. Hiya Bayaya

McB

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:44 AM »
Ah yes, boat naming - I had been trawling through all my old favourite music artists, looking for inspiration from historic figures, even checked out a few websites for ideas but then my wife drew on her incredible memory to remind me that apparently some time in the foggy past I'd promised to name any boat I bought after the old English (or Welsh or something) version of her name - so it's looking like it has to have 'Guinevere' in it somewhere.

Personally, I'm happy to oblige. After she's finally given in to the idea of me buying a boat I can easily succumb to letting her pick the name!

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »
Quote from: McB

Ah yes, boat naming - I had been trawling through all my old favourite music artists, looking for inspiration from historic figures, even checked out a few websites for ideas but then my wife drew on her incredible memory to remind me that apparently some time in the foggy past I'd promised to name any boat I bought after the old English (or Welsh or something) version of her name - so it's looking like it has to have 'Guinevere' in it somewhere.

Personally, I'm happy to oblige. After she's finally given in to the idea of me buying a boat I can easily succumb to letting her pick the name!
That seems like an intelligent choice.
JT

weidokal1

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »
Ah, great boat naming stories!  I always get a kick out of hearing of wives that 'finally' gave the okay to get a boat.  My DH and I BOTH got bit by the bug about 6 years ago after boating with friends.  This year's boat show pushed us over the edge.  As far as the name, right now we're looking at 'All Summer Long' as we really like the Kid Rock song and it seems appropriate.  But it also seems kind of 'ordinary' to me, so I'm still searching!
Nicole
NE Ohio
2009 GLS 215/5.0L Penta
Love Like Crazy

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
Evidently, I need to get with the program and name our new boat. This is going to be a challenge.
JT

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »
Apparently, we must choose wisely our boat names or we have to go through the following ceremony if we want to change it. Got this from BoatSafe.com

Ceremony for Renaming Your Boat

By Capt. Pat

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.
Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory.
This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards.

Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed!

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:)  Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.
JT

weidokal1

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
What a riot!
Nicole
NE Ohio
2009 GLS 215/5.0L Penta
Love Like Crazy

nedrger

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
We are naming our new GLS 255, "MO FUN" , it's what we will be having when we take delivery.
Randy
2011 GS289 8.1GiC DP Volvo Penta, 400HP
Hav'in fun roll'in on the river

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
MO FUN is a good one. I still can't think of a name.
JT

aevans17

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
I've had my boat for going on 3 years now and still don't have a name. I know it's bad luck, but I don't want to pick something that I'll later regret. I got some good advice from the man who writes the Wagoneer Cruising guide (local cruising guide for the PNW, San Juan islands, up the Canadian cost, and Vancouver island.) He said, make sure you think of a name that you won't feel bad yelling over channel 16 on your radio if/when you ever have need to call in a mayday. The last thing you want to have happen is something like this:

MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY
This this is the pleasure craft B-YATCH,
I Repeat the pleasure craft B-YATCH,
Repeat pleasure craft B-YATCH.
We are a 25 foot express cruiser heading ....

I think you get the point. That cleverly funny name doesn't sound so clever when you need help.
Such is life!
2006 GS 259, 320 HP Volvo OSXI

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:04 AM »
My neighbors came over to eyeball my boat yesterday evening. They asked if I had named the boat yet. I haven't and they were very concerned, so I guess I have to get after it. I suggested naming it Glastron since it's already printed on the side of the boat. I was voted down. I did share the B-yatch mayday story with them. They laughed. We quickly reduced our list of prospective names with a mayday test.
JT

ColinGS249

• View Profile
    • Email
Fun boat names?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
when i first met my wife 18 years ago she told me her full was beverley sarah-rose my immediate reply was i name this ship the beverley sarah rose.
I told her way back then thats what i would call my boat if ever i bought one.
15 years later is when i bought my boat and true to my word i said thats what i was going to call it, over my dead body she replied i dont want everyone knowing my full name.
Being that we now have 2 children (both girls ) alex and louise i thought ALILOU would be good . Bev reminded me about my son christopher from a previous relationship hmmmm i thought.
Then one xmas morning bev produced for me a rather long skinny box which i opened and there it was CHRISALILOU AFTER ALL THREE OF THEM which is now stuck proudly on the back
ColinGS249
Northern Ireland