Author Topic: Trim Gauge SX 175  (Read 7463 times)

tdreason

• View Profile
    • Email
Trim Gauge SX 175
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
To open, first post.  Know a fair bit about cars, not as much about boats.  Will try any repair once...what have I to lose...its broke.    SX 175/Volvo-Penta.  Tilt/trim works fine.  Trim gauge works very irradically.  According to rpr. shop (not very forthcoming) there's a part somewhere worth a lot of money that needs to be replaced for gauge to work.  ????
TDR

Bilito

• View Profile
Re: Trim Gauge SX 175
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
I have the same boat with the same issue, I saw that sending unit on eBay for 120 bucks plus shipping, it's called a potentiometer or something like that.  Looks to me as if it is two screws and a plug, the plug however looks to be almost impossible to get at. probably have to take some thing apart in the top of the drive to get at the plug

tdreason

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trim Gauge SX 175; originator follow-up; long post
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
Ok, so I think I figured it out.  Seems there have actually been a number of views of this post and other research on the i-net suggests this is not an uncommon problem, so...I will editorialize a bit and explain what I did.  Probably piss some off but any way.

First, being  both ignorant but willing I bought a manual.  SELOC Volvo Penta Stern Drives 1992-02.  Havaing made the fix myself (believe I have) it has already paid for itself 10 times over.  If you're learning like I am, BUY a MANUAL!!

Next, I don't know if the mechanics I encounter are idiots or crooks...the result however is the same. 

I would be willing to bet that many of the problems encountered on this matter occur like mine...after the lower unit has been dropped for other work.  (Gimbal bearing for the third time in 4 years...low and behold the wrong one had been put in the first two times.  Two different shops!)
The Trim Sending unit (what I believe it is best called) would have been taken off of the lower unit so that things can be worked on.   If not taken off it would certainly need to have been adjusted.  And then not appropriateely replaced/adjusted.  But quite willing to give me a $300 estimate to fix it!!!

The sending unit is a round gadget (2.5 inches+/- Diam) with a lead running out of it into the stern.  It simply bolts with two small hex screws to the starboard side of the gimbal ring (now I know what that is: thankyou manual).  Extremely accessable.  However, nothing I could find on the internet told me this so the manual got me started.    I took it off the gimbal ring, left all wires attached.  It is a really simple gadget that consists of this circular device that has a shaft coming out of it with a rubber nut on the end of the shaft.  The shaft with nut fits into an internal hex/star nut that is the pivot point of the lower unit on the gimbal ring.  As the lower unit goes up and down it pivots on this point.  It then turns the rubber nut on the shaft of the sending unit which sends to the gauge giving relative position.     

So I took the thing out and fiddled with it.  Boat on, turned the rubber not on the shaft and the gauge shows up or down depending on which way you turn.  Turn it too far and it goes balistic, snaps back to top position and just doesn't work worth a darn.  However, by fiddling, if you get it centered or set to the top point and turn it slowly, it moved the gauge wonderfully and apropriately.  I set the motor to bottom lowest trim/tilt, set sendingunit and gauge to lowest point and bolted it back in.  This part took a bit of in and out and resetting to get it just right but something a monkey like me was able to accomplish.  It is now back in and although it has been only dry tested it works!!!     

So, buy a manual.  Trim sending unit.  Starboard side on the gimbal ring. Two little bolts/screws.  Take it off and fiddle with it.  If you can get it to get the gauge to go up and down I'd bet it was simply out of adjustment.  It may still go to heck once I get it in the water but right now it sure seems to work, when it didn't before.   
TDR

AviSailor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:34:12 AM »
I have an erratic gauge as well and a manual on the way. I was curious if the adjustment is spelled out in the manual or if you need to tinker with it to get it right.
"On the boat again... Just can't wait to get on the boat again"

codertimt

• Administrator
    • codertimt
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful post, tdreason. Just took the boat out for a test run after it sitting for an entire year without use and my trim gauge isn't working at all.  Not sure if my sending unit will magically start working, but am hopeful and based on your instructions I will get my hands dirty on it and hopefully get it going.

Thanks again for participating on the forum...sorry your had to answer your own question.  :)

tdreason

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »
to AVISAILOR:

Not much instruction specific to the fix in the manual but it does give you location and some description.  My advice is to simply pull the unit off the out-drive, and turn the little rubber nut you'll find that insets into the lower unit.  Turn it and you'll see how one direction, gauge goes up; other it goes down; go too far and it jumps all over the place;  trick is finding the "sweet spot" to put back together.  It sure could be other things but my guess is it might very well not be anything but a need to adjust.  Wish weather would warm up here in WI.  May need to build ice-baoat to get out on the lakes.

TDR