Author Topic: WARNING TO POTENTIAL OWNERS OF FACTORY INSTALLED WAKEBOARD TOWER.  (Read 8823 times)

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
I've owned my boat since 05/14/10 when I signed the papers, my boat was custom ordered due to my unique choice of options. The biggest being the Roswell wakeboard tower which I purposely had Glastron themselves install to avoid any possible screw ups on my behalf or voiding my warranty. Thats all my tower has solely been used for, never towed tubes or skiers. After last weekend and wiping down my boat I thought some of my black lab's hair made it onto my boat, but low and behold it was a freaking spider crack in the gel coat. The crack was coming out from behind the tower's mounting feet. I checked all 3 other feet, and they had similar cracks forming. Furious, I called my dealer and am now in a fight with Glastron for improper installation of my tower because they should NOT cause spider cracking. Glastron is saying my boat is out of warranty for cracking, yet I have the last year of the VEC hull production.

Its kind of hard to see unless its in high Res... but there is faint black line coming from the top of the chrome foot out..

I remove the rear speakers to see how they have them mounted internally and for how much stress is exerted onto the towers when boarding they have a Chincy back plate taking the stress. Its pretty much the same size as the external foot ~ 4x4" plate and rubber gasket. VERY VERY poor design.

If there is enough interest I will keep this updated with progress and my fight with them...

What makes this more fun, the towers are installer prior to mating the top shell to the bottom meaning I have no access to the front mounting feet. I have to remove the front bow back rests and drill a 5" hole saw behind them to gain access. If I can get them to cover the spider crack repair I am fabricating a new backing plate 3X the size to dispurse the weight better. Most likely a 3/4' thick piece of marine plywood or Corian thats 5" x 8" long and epoxied to remove any air pockets.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:08:31 AM by 3MileBayWaker »
2010 Glastron GT 205 XL (Crimson Red)
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Low profile Black windshield
Custom Black Canvas

gt205John

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WARNING TO POTENTIAL OWNERS OF FACTORY INSTALLED WAKEBOARD TOWER.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:58 AM »
That sucks man. I remember when I had my speakers out that I seen some pretty thick wood there. does that wood not travel all the way to the mounts of the tower?
GT-205 (Black)
4.3 mpi merc

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »
Hey 3Mile, sorry to hear you're having some gel coat cracking. I got my boat back from Glastron this spring with the gel coat crazing perfectly repaired. I was worried that I'd get a run around from Glastron, especially since they had just moved to Michigan. I worried for nothing and they did a fantastic job on the repair. I expect they will do you right since your tower was factory installed. The dealership was very supportive, advocating for me. I hope you have the same experience. Have you heard anything since you posted this thread? Sorry for late response. I've been away from the forums for a while. 
JT

2010 GT185XL Black w/4.3 Merc

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:22:18 AM »
I was told my Unit was out of warranty for gel coat cracks... they told my dealership to tell me to get a quote and see if they could do something to help me out. I did what was asked, haven't heard anything back yet.

I've already put a couple for-sale ads up for it... I've just about had enough with Glastron. I'm looking around for a used Malibu, Supra, Tige, Axis, Moomba, Ski Nautique, Mastercraft as they are boats more designed for what I was hoping to get out of mine.

Now if only I could get what I owed out of mine, I would walk away ASAP.
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Custom Black Canvas

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
I hope they step up and help you out. If not Glastron, your dealership. I read your post on another forum about seams ripping out. I looked at mine today while cleaning it. My seams are tearing on the bench seat. I assume it's from people getting in and out of the boat, stepping on the back seat since there is no good way to board the boat without stepping on the seats. What is the warranty on upholstery?   
JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
I told my dealer at our winter boat show about the issue and he said just take a picture of it and e-mail it to him. I did this before I had the boat for a year and they got it warrantied out for me. The new bench seat is a lot firmer than the prior one and looks to be holding up quite well. I also told people I would slap them if I catch them stepping on my seats, and to use the rear deck pass through section.

Now the rear deck lift up cushion ( don't think your 185 has it) screws are pulling out of their holes.... oy vey. I am just going to put some gorilla glue on some tooth picks and shove the suckers in there and re-screw the screws in.

The guys are my dealership have been extremely helpful, this is all on glastron and I have become quite annoyed with them and their quality.
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Custom Black Canvas

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
I just talked to dealer yesterday about the bench seat. They said it's a "popular" problem for Glastron and that they will send a replacement. I also had the solenoid go out on the surge brake on my trailer. Have had my share of troubles (gel coat, seams ripping, decals falling off, surge brake, fitting on heat exchange) but happy that everything has been taken care of so far under warranty. I've spoke to Tahoe and Bayliner owners that wish they had bought Glastron for better quality. Not sure what to say about that.

By the way, thanks for the heads-up on the bench seats. I may not have noticed it soon enough.
JT

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:19:59 PM »
Well, dealer got me approved to get the cracks fixed but Glastron will only pay what they estimated. I asked what the estimate was, and apparently it $1675...  :o    Good thing they are picking up the tab ;D
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Custom Black Canvas

jt185

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »
Well, dealer got me approved to get the cracks fixed but Glastron will only pay what they estimated. I asked what the estimate was, and apparently it $1675...  :o    Good thing they are picking up the tab ;D
Sorry for the late response 3mile. I've been away from the forums, busy with work and other less entertaining stuff.

That is outstanding news 3mile! So glad to hear they are standing behind their product. What a relief! No?

Before buying my 2010 GT185, I read all over the internet and heard from my dealer that Glastron is really good regarding customer service and warranty repairs. Unfortunately, I've had opportunities to test warranty claims first hand.
I've had the following repairs done under warranty:
-section of dashboard on passenger side replaced (scuffed from factory)
-replaced coupling/plumbing piece for the heat exchanger (as I recall), resulted in being towed a couple miles by a generous family last summer.
-major hull crazing repaired (noticed just before initial 20 hr service)
-decals falling off (repaired along with hull cracks)
-defective reverse lock-out solenoid on the trailer replaced (this summer)
-most recent repair/replacement, bench seat replaced to to seams ripping which i may not have seen if 3mile hadn't posted about his ripping bench seams

I feel this laundry list is too long for a 20 thousand dollar-plus, brand new boat, but the excellent news is that Glastron and my dealer never batted an eye or argued about fixing these problems at no cost to me. I applaud Glastron for taking care of me with virtually no hassles! I really love the boat. It handles, performs and looks great.

Sorry to say I just made an appointment to have it winterized. I need to move south or quit my whining I suppose:)
JT