Author Topic: Volvo sx-a owners, trim pump leaking?  (Read 8985 times)

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Volvo sx-a owners, trim pump leaking?
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:32:55 AM »
How many of you have had leaky trim pump issues on this piss poor design?

Just crossed 2 years and mine started to leak, go figure. My dealer told me my warranty was up and I was one month too late and glastron would not cover authorization for the fix. But advised me to thumb through the Volvo penta owners manual and call their consumer relations hot line, this is a well known issue and they redesigned the trim pump cover and hydraulic lines. You don't have to buy the whole trim pump kit, there is just a cover plate kit ($360 msrp) Don't let your shop screw you over there, about $500 difference in price between the two.

The older version has all 4 hydraulic lines coming in from the top to the retainer plate. The new version has 2 on top and 2 relocated to the sides where there use to be white plastic plugs. These plugs were from the machining process and meant to seal off the passageway, but we're only held in by pressure and a glue. I tried to repair the leak by drilling the plugs out and tapping the passage with a set screw and jb weld, still weaps under pressure. Not sure if the jb weld didnt take or what....

Now my dealer has been exceptional since I've owned my boat, and always bent over backwards to help anyway possible. I called the consumer affairs hotline Monday and nicely expressed my frustration and displeasure of their product. I was advised to have my dealer submit them a detailed work order and see what they could do. I got a call back yesterday afternoon from consumer affairs and that they would be sending my dealer the cover plate kit, but I would have to pay labor fees to them.

I think that's pretty nice of them, while the design is bad they are at least  willing to help if you give them a call and calmly speak with them. If you've already had the repairs done, they are unable to help then....

2010 Glastron GT 205 XL (Crimson Red)
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Low profile Black windshield
Custom Black Canvas

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Volvo sx-a owners, trim pump leaking?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »
Mine is in the shop for the same issue however my outdrive stopped going up and down. I am still under warranty until 2014 so hopefully I get it back and get in the water soon and for free.

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
Picked it up today. The grand total was a 25 dollar deductable. I'll gladly pay that any day of the week for what was done. They changed the trim pump and all 4 hydrolic lines. The new pump housing is different, instead of all 4 hoses coming out the top and those white plastic caps on the side bottom two come out the top, and two come out where the caps were. They pulled the entire outdrive off to change the pump, they reinstalled the drive and used all new pins and put lots of blue salt water grease on all the moving parts.  I won't get to use it before Monday but it goes up and down does not look like its leaking anymore. All in all it was not good it failed but my repair was a pleasent experience.

3MileBayWaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »
Pulled the entire outdrive, to put in a new trim pump? I call bull on your dealers behalf, and you shouldn't have had to pay a dime if you called up Volvo.

I was quoted $167 in labor from my dealer, which was 1.5 hours of work and a quart of trim fluid. But they were 2.5 weeks behind... I took the parts home with me and had it done in 3 hours because I took photos to make a how-to found here...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=567069

You clearly don't need to remove the outdrive to place the pump, it free floats in that space with the pump cover as its anchoring point. A wire harness runs inside the boat which you just pop the pins out of the connector and back inside when done..
2010 Glastron GT 205 XL (Crimson Red)
Volvo 4.3L GL
Roswell Wakeboard tower
Low profile Black windshield
Custom Black Canvas

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
One of the hoses that was replaced last year blew. I guess it's back to the dealer.....