Author Topic: Total noob checking in  (Read 673 times)

Okiefromwatonga

• View Profile
    • Email
Total noob checking in
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
Ok everyone, first off let me Introduce myself. My name is John and I am a two tour 13 year vet and more importantly a complete noob when it comes to boats ans boating. I have been on the water a grand total of about 3 hours and 2 of it was on a Jet Ski. A close and personal friend of mine recently passed away and willed me quite a few things. Among them was a 1973 Glastron V-187 Swinger and brought it home today. What I can tell you from what I have found is it has a Mercruiser 165Hp I/O. Outboard  SN is 3579394. Im in the process of cleaning it right now and am having trouble with the I/O hanging low, does the engine have to be running in order to lift it? Please share any and all info you can about this boat. How do I run it out of the water and not burn up the Outdrive? Does anyone make reproductions of the dash as mine is brittle and cracked.

Merlin16

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Total noob checking in
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
I'm no expert with these old boats when it comes to cosmetic parts. There are a few Glastron "classic" forums out there that should be able to help.

As for the outdrive hanging low, you'll notice a couple hydraulic rams beside the drive. They run off a little pump which is located in the engine bay. All it needs to run is 12V power, engine doesn't need to run. There could be multiple reasons why it's not working, but start with the easy and work your way to the hard part... Battery, loose wires, switch, does pump work, hyd fluid, ram seals, etc.
Trying to start the engine, NEVER do it without water. Either use "muffs" on the hose or drop the leg into a large pail/bucket of water. Just above the prop shaft, you will notice 5-6 small holes in a row. That is the water intake which feeds the impellor and they must be submerged before trying to start the engine.
Good luck with your project.
2016 GTS 185
4.5L MPI 200hp
Phantom Grey w/Sunburst Orange

Okiefromwatonga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
Merin, thank you for the reply. In digging around in the boat the other day I found both a pair of "muffs" and the pump's location, now to troubleshoot it's non op like you said. Hoping for something simple like blown fuse or bad switch.

The Canadian Guy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
Hi John,

You can GOOGLE greatlakesskipper

They have been a great source for me and my friends.
2006 SX 175
Lives In Ottawa, Canada