Author Topic: Extended Warranty  (Read 510 times)

umichdad

• View Profile
    • Email
Extended Warranty
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
Hello.  I am brand new to the forum having just brought home my new 2017 GTS205 two days ago.  I expect this question has been asked before, but I attempted several searches of the forum for my answer and came up empty.  So please bear with me. 

I need to decide by tomorrow whether I want to buy the extended warranty (service contract).   If I do, they will throw in the $600 engine addendum.  My research suggests that Glastron makes a good quality boat (which is why I bought it) and, therefore, the extended warranty is probably a poor bet.  However, I know the new Merc engine designed specifically for marine use is still pretty new and I am worried that all of the kinks are not worked out (or that there are kinks that have not yet come to light).  Any thoughts on whether it is a good idea to buy the service contract?

Merlin16

• View Profile
    • Email
Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
first off, welcome to the club, and congrats on your new toy.

This is what I've learned in the last month, since going through the same thing.
Are you talking WARRANTY or MAINTENANCE plans??

1.....If it's extended WARRANTY, you should already have 5 years. Two years (MERC) automatically comes with the new purchase and right now they are throwing in an extra 3 years from a third party. Program is called "power of protection". There are limitations to this program, but it's free 3 extra years. The dealer may also offer you REAL Mercury extended warranty, but you can purchase that yourself right from Merc. You can get coverage up to 8 years and buying it direct is way cheaper than getting it from the dealer.

2.....now if you are talking maintenance, my dealer offered me a 3yr plan for an outrageous amount to cover oil changes, regular stuff. But I know how to do that myself and can at a fraction of the cost. Not worth it for me.

3....they even offered me a protection package to cover any rips/tears to the interior.

4......and lastly, FYI, you can purchase the Mercury power train extended WARRANTY anytime before the regular warranty runs out. You don't have to purchase right away. Mercury customer service was more than happy to explain.
Even the service and protection plans my dealer offered were all left open till the end of the season and I could get back to them anytime. Being pressured into buying right away is one of those sales pitches, IMO.

Find out exactly what they are offering and what it covers for x amount of $$. Deductibles for every visit?
Buying a boat is no different than buying a car. They try to get you with all the add-ons to make a  few extra bucks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:52:24 PM by Merlin16 »
2016 GTS 185
4.5L MPI 200hp
Phantom Grey w/Sunburst Orange

umichdad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Extended Warranty
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »
Thanks Merlin.  That is very helpful.  What I was referring to is actually a service contract that looks like an extended warranty but is actually just an insurance policy against expensive repairs.  It is for four years and kicks in after the actual warranty runs out.  The only pressure to buy this now is that the Company has a deal through the end of this week where they include the engine rider at no additional cost.  I can buy the same thing for the rest of the summer, but the engine rider is an extra $500-$600.

My dealer never mentioned any additional warranties that could be gotten through the engine manufacturer.  I was only told about the two year warranty that was included.  This extended service plan is the only thing they mentioned.  I think I will look into the coverage offered by Merc.  If that looks good, it takes the pressure off to decide about the other coverage because I won't need their engine rider.

umichdad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Extended Warranty
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »
Hey Merlin, when you mentioned they were throwing in an extra three years of warranty coverage on the engine "from a third party", I assume you mean that your boat dealer was throwing in the extra three years.  Is that correct?  Because my dealer certainly is not and I did not see anything on Mercury's website to suggest they are.

[Update]
Sorry, I found it on the mercury website under promotions.  I think with this additional three years, there is no need to buy an expensive additional contract.  Thanks for the help.  Have a great weekend.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:04:55 PM by umichdad »