Author Topic: Hull Blistering  (Read 104 times)

The Canadian Guy

• View Profile
    • Email
Hull Blistering
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:20 AM »
My 2006 SX 175's hull is blistering.  Has anyone had this problem.  I wrote to Glastron and am awaiting a reply.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc
2006 SX 175
Lives In Ottawa, Canada

The Canadian Guy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hull Blistering
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
Update:  I heard back from Glastron about my hull blistering and I was informed my sales person was full of crap.  If you get any talk of hull warranty or any warranty, Get It In Writing or Walkaway.

My Email to John's Marina in Calreton Place:

Hi Keith,

When I purchased the boat (2006 Glastron SX 175) I was told the cost of transferring the hull warranty to me was included and only Glastron did this and my brother and I thought it was a plus especially for a 10 year old boat.  Glastron has a very different view and an explanation as to why it’s not covered.  This fact, which James either knew or ought to have known affected my decision to purchase the boat.  Had I known there was no hull warranty, I would have purchased a newer boat or negotiated a lower price, but I believed I was getting good value for the money.

Also I believe your company jacks up the cost of the winterizing and spring start up to cover the cost of storage, hardly a deal considering the price I got from Laurentian Marine.

I will discuss my options and let you know my decision.  Very disappointed.

Yours truly,
Marc Scrivener

Response from Glastron;

Sent: October 5, 2017 9:03 AM
To: I blocked my email to prevent spamming
Subject: RE: Contact Form from Glastron site

Marc

First of all we do not transfer warranties for boats built before 2010. Genmar was the company that owned Glastron in 2006 and Genmar went bankrupt in 2008-2009 and closed Glastron and Bankrupt courts sold Glastron.  Also Osmosis blistering is on the surface of the gelcoat and warranty would have ended for only the original owner.

Sincerely
Roy

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:28:29 AM by The Canadian Guy »
2006 SX 175
Lives In Ottawa, Canada

Merlin16

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about that. Especially sucks when you get mislead by the selling dealer, bad communication.
Not sure what causes those blisters, if your boat is kept in the water or on a trailer. An 06 is not that old.
On another note, if it's just a couple blisters on the gel coat, check around your area for a fiberglass repair shop. It maybe a minor repair with minimal cost. Maybe the dealer would help on pricing if it was like that when you bought it.
2016 GTS 185
4.5L MPI 200hp
Phantom Grey w/Sunburst Orange

The Canadian Guy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 01:46:54 AM »
I was surprised to hear the original company went bankrupt.  I was told stories of the gelcoat being changed to save money when Glastron was in financial trouble.  The new company apparently has a much better finish that lasts, but I gues they want to create a distance from the problems of the past.  So far I have a couple of quotes around 1500 to 2000.  Not impressed, but it will be my last Glastron.
2006 SX 175
Lives In Ottawa, Canada