Author Topic: New owner questions on a 2012 MX 185  (Read 405 times)

Racklefrack

• If not now, when?
    • ReallyReilley
    • KennethReilley
    • View Profile
    • Email
New owner questions on a 2012 MX 185
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:40:44 PM »
Hi everyone, and thanks for allowing me to join!

My wife and I are the proud new owners of a barely used, one-owner 2012 MX 185, 4.3L 220HP, and she's a beauty... well, we think so, anyway :) But I am having a little trouble researching details about this particular year and model; there's not a lot out there that I've been able to find so far, so please forgive the newbie question.

As far as I've been able to tell, the difference between the MX and the GT is that the GT is the higher-end model with more bells and whistles than the MX. If true, here's where I get confused: the list of "upgrades" that separate the GT from the MX is all stuff the MX we bought has on it: wraparound windshield, flip up capt's chair, cooler under the back bench, snap in carpets, swim platform, etc.

Did the previous one buy the MX and then add all the GT upgrades, plus upgrade the motor to the 4.3 220hp? Was that even possible? Or did i get the info about the difference between the MX and the GT wrong?

In the long run it doesn't matter, I suppose, we love it no matter what. Just very curious. Thanks!   :D
2012 Glastron MX 185, 4.3 220HP
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302

Merlin16

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New owner questions on a 2012 MX 185
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
First off, congrats on your new toy.
You are correct that the GT in that year had more bling, but the boat itself is still the same. They all had the same windshield, build structure, etc. Not the for sure answer, but using google, the 4.3 was offered in carb or MPI, where the GT came with MPI. I'm sure you could have ordered the MPI on the MX. Changing a carbed engine over to MPI is not easy or cheap, so I doubt that was done.
It's really no different than my 2016. In that year, they offered 3 versions, GTX, GT and GTS. All the same boat, except different levels of features and fancy bling. The GTX base model could be ordered with just about anything, where the GTS already had the full load. We chose the GTS that already had all the upgrades, nicer upholstery, different gauges, stainless fittings, etc.
I suppose the only true answer would be to ask the manufacturer for a build/spec sheet for your boat.
Regardless, enjoy that new toy.  ;D
2016 GTS 185
4.5L MPI 200hp
Phantom Grey w/Sunburst Orange

Racklefrack

• If not now, when?
    • ReallyReilley
    • KennethReilley
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New owner questions on a 2012 MX 185
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »
Merlin16, thank you! I'm not at all positive about what's standard and what's an upgrade on either model -- you mentioned the windshield being the same where other posts I've read made it sound like the curved wraparound windshield was standard on the GT or an upgrade on the MX... I mighta read it wrong, who knows. I'm guessing the previous owners either wanted something specific about the MX and ordered it with all the upgrades or maybe that's the only thing the dealer had in stock at the time and they didn't want to wait.

I haven't gotten around to contacting Glastron yet, though I suppose that really would be the way to go. Thanks again!
2012 Glastron MX 185, 4.3 220HP
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302