Author Topic: 2007 GT 205 Soft Floor  (Read 288 times)

LSUtiger07

• View Profile
    • Email
2007 GT 205 Soft Floor
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:15:48 PM »
I purchased a 2007 GT 205 about a year ago from the original owner and absolutely love it. Prior to purchasing the boat, I had a it evaluated by a service shop where I bought it from before to making the 6 hour drive to look at it. The report came back very positive and the service technician said everything checked out great mechanically and structurally. I also took the boat out on the lake before purchasing just to verify everything. When I got the back back home I scheduled an appointment to have it evaluated by my local service shop that I use on a regular basis and trust their work. Again, everything came back perfect. The boat was kept in a garage all of its life prior to me purchasing it, and I have kept it indoors as well.

During our final outing of the season last year, I noticed that a small area (approximately a 1 foot by 1 foot) directly in front of the captains seat was slightly soft. For some reason, I didn't notice this when I sea tried it, probably because it is so slight. I have done a fair amount of research about VEC technology but can't seem to come to a conclusion regarding the construction of the floors. It appears that there might be marine plywood underneath the fiberglass floor after looking at it, but I'm not positive. Does anyone know more about the construction of the floors for this year of Glastron boats or could help me understand what the potential issues could be. No other areas of the floor are soft and the boat was very well taken care of by the original owner. Could this area just be slightly soft from the weight of the driver standing in the same spot over 11 years?

Any information is appreciated.

Michael

The Canadian Guy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2007 GT 205 Soft Floor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
Hi Michael,

I have a 2006 SX 175 and just had the hull redone because of osmosis (hull blistering) at a cost of $3000.00 and I am wondering if you have this problem as well.  I was told by a Glastron dealer that Glastron went bankrupt around 2005 to 2008 (he not totally sure of the year) and apparently they skimped on some of their processes to save money back then.  He had heard of other problem with model year 2006 and 2007.  I did contact the dealer I bought the boat from who gave me excellent service until they found out the boat had osmosis and was then given the bums rush.  When I bought the boat the sales man told me the cost of the boat included transferring the hull warranty.  TOTAL BS.  The dealer put me in touch with Glastron who informed me Glastron went bankrupt and they were a new company operating Glastron so no warranty.  I'm on my last Glastron the next one would have been number 4.

Anyway if you have an optical camera (you can buy/sometimes rent at most good hardware stores or if you know a mechanic) hopefully your floor has a cubby in the floor that you can lift up and put a camera in there to see if there are any issues.  It also helps if you use some extra light to brighten up the area if you can.  This should hopefully give you an idea as to what's going on.

I hope I was helpful.

Please keep us in the loop in case someone else has the same problem.
2006 SX 175
Lives In Ottawa, Canada

Merlin16

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2007 GT 205 Soft Floor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
to the OP, I don't believe the floor is made of plywood. My understanding is the entire top half of the boat (deck, seat base, floor, side panels) is constructed as one piece from fiberglass and then lowered into the hull. Maybe the spot you are feeling is just the glass structure flexing under your weight.
Is your floor fiber exposed with no carpet? Or do you have snap in carpet?
2016 GTS 185
4.5L MPI 200hp
Phantom Grey w/Sunburst Orange